Wooden Tone Ring

pjgent

Wooden Tone Ring

Postby pjgent » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm

I am a novice banjo player, (six months.) I am currently playing a Deering Goodtime Two, and starting to play in beginner jams. My question is, if I ever get good enough to justify a really good high quality instrument, which type to buy. I really like the light weight and mellow sound of a woody. I am in my eighties so the light weight is important. What is the general opinion on using a woody in Bluegrass jams? I am not necessarily asking for specific brand recommendations, just opinion on the woodies in general, in Bluegrass jams.... Phil

Pete

Re: Wooden Tone Ring

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:21 am

PJ,
Sorry for the delay in answering -- big touring season this year!
To asnwer -- wooden tone rings can sound just great, but not being made of bell brass, they produce a less bright, ringy tone. If someone were to want to project well in a bluegrass jam, a brass tone ring banjo is standard. But a well-played wood rim banjo can sound good and still carry well. Of course, its lighter weight is a plus too.

In a beginner jam, I think a wood rim banjo should work all right. If you start wishing your banjo projected more and sounded brighter, then it might be time to move to a brass tone ring.

Happy picking!

Pete

Return to “Banjo/banjo camps”