Picking with middle and ring finger

squarebillT16

Picking with middle and ring finger

Postby squarebillT16 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm

About 15 years ago I quit playing the banjo cause my index started missing strings ..after reading on this forum I learned it has a name "FOCAL DYSTONIA". No matter how hard I tried I would miss the string so I sold my banjo and just give up.. :( Well recently I borrowed a banjo from a friend and sure enough my index still acted funny..One night I was goofin around and put the pick on my ring finger and after a few minutes I could play a song ... I was so thrilled you would have thought I won the lottery!! my playing is slow and the tone is not that great but its getting better all the time.. I hope this helps someone out there that has the same problem :)

Pete

Re: Picking with middle and ring finger

Postby Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Dear Square,
Good for you! There is always a way to make music, if you really want to.
Reminds me of the last time I saw Nick Hornbuckle of British Columbia, the excellent banjo picker with John Reischman and the Jaybirds. We had a really fun jam last summer up in Comox, near where he lives. Nick was a great player when I first heard him years ago, then several years ago revealed he'd switched to 2-finger playing when his middle finger became erratic. Check out his latest album, or one of his YouTube videos where you get a good view of his current technique. He sounds great!
Pete

Return to “Other”