Jammers, speak up!

Pete

Jammers, speak up!

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 am

Hello fellow pickers,
The forum is finally up and running again, with a streamlined spam-proof registration procedure. Let's hear from you!

Pete

Pete the Bass Guy

Re: Jammers, speak up!

Postby Pete the Bass Guy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Pete
Thanks again for the great weekend. It was great meeting Hereford. Nice group of folks who really gave it their all. It's amazing what three days on concentrated playing can do for your listening ability's. Looking forward to the intermediate camp later this month.
pete the bass guy

bart18976

Jam campers are still jamming!

Postby bart18976 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:03 am

Hi, Pete and Joan,

Just thought you would like to know that we are still jammin! Last Sunday we hosted a group of 10 pickers at our home in Lyons. Everyone brought a couple of songs to work on. We had a great time and have plans for additional sessions in the future. You really got something started with the October jam camp in Boulder! Thanks for all of your support of all of us closet-pickers. We're starting to come out!

By the way, your Bluegrass Banjo Backup Basic Level CD has been perfect for my skill level. I highly recommend it to others. I've learned a lot already and there is still plenty more to learn from it. Got another backup CD planned in the future?

Bart Mayes

Pete

Re: Jam campers are still jamming!

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:10 am

bart18976 wrote:Hi, Pete and Joan,

Just thought you would like to know that we are still jammin! Last Sunday we hosted a group of 10 pickers at our home in Lyons. Everyone brought a couple of songs to work on. We had a great time and have plans for additional sessions in the future. You really got something started with the October jam camp in Boulder! Thanks for all of your support of all of us closet-pickers. We're starting to come out!

By the way, your Bluegrass Banjo Backup Basic Level CD has been perfect for my skill level. I highly recommend it to others. I've learned a lot already and there is still plenty more to learn from it. Got another backup CD planned in the future?

Bart Mayes

Bart,

This is rally neat news for us to hear! Ten people each bringing a couple of songs, that's plenty for a fine jam.

To answer about another backup DVD, I could easily do another, and would like to do it with Homespun again. Your voicing to them your interest in another video would be a good way to help that along. Glad to hear there's still plenty to learn on the first one. It takes a while to put those things out!

Pete

flatpickdaved

Postby flatpickdaved » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:22 am

Hi Pete,

I cannot possibly say thank you enough for your excellent Wernick Method (copyright symbol intended, I don't know how to do it in a browser!) jam class that I just attended in Coombs, B.C., Canada. I'll got out on a limb and say it was a musically transformative experience for everyone who attended all four sessions.

My question is about tempo and musicians who seem to be oblivious to it. How do you deal with someone in a jam who always speeds up or slows down the tempo? I watched you do it in a "classroom setting", where people expect and likely want correction. How do you "pass the mints", as you put it, to someone who is bringing the jam down by either an inability or an unwillingness to stick to the established tempo? I have put in work with the metronome, but there are those who say "I always speed up here", or "I need to slow done here", as if it's part of the arrangement.

I would like to find a safe, "face saving" way to get such musicians "onside". I have a picking partner in particular about whom I am thinking, of course, He's a technically talented player, knows his chords and lots of songs, but I am tired of having to speed up or slow down depending on his whim of the moment! Can you help me "pass the mints" and make what could be a fun jam a better experience without him getting 'choked' about my "hubris" for suggesting that his lack of awareness of the group tempo is the problem?

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Dave,
First, sorry it's been so long before I've responded. I'd not checked the forum lately (busy!) and fell behind.

To answer the question, it sounds like a personal conference is needed. Ideally it would be over a beer (with you buying) or some other pleasant context. Maybe giving him a ride to the jam. Then, using "I statements" (that is, statements where you talk about how it feels to you when this happens, not about "you have this flaw"), let him know that it's jarring to have the tempo changed, since in this kind of music the normal supposition is that the tempo should stay the same. Let him know that it's distracting and makes it harder to play good music with him.

The need to do this in private and in a pleasant way (remembering to say, both before and after the critical part, what you *like* about his playing)... I hope is obvious.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

Pete

George

Postby George » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Pete,I'm considering signing up for the Gettysburg Jam Camp and would like to ask how do I go about describing my banjo ability....Beginner,INtermediate??? Will this become very important in registration for the camp? George

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 am

George,
When registering, there's no requirement to describe your skill level, though we do like to know how much jamming experience you have had, and whether you sing a lot, a little, or not at all. The skills that count in jams are what we teach, and we take note of whatever skills people bring to the camp, and try to help them develop from there. The camp requirements are pretty basic... the ability to play 4 chords, G, C, D, and A.
Hope you can make it to the Gettysburg camp!
Pete

Return to “Jamming/jam camps”